Internet Freedom Foundation (IFF), in collaboration with CivicDataLab (CDL), aims to develop a platform to track cases registered under Section 66A of the Information Technology Act, 2000, at the district court level. This tracker will be developed to achieve the following objectives:
- Monitor existing cases registered under 66A in selected geographies, also to track cases that are pending under this act.
- Drive evidence-based advocacy through qualitative and quantitative research which can provide inferences to the use of an unconstitutional provision for criminal prosecution.
- Enable better citizen engagement with the institutions of governance.
- Spreads awareness around the use of unconstitutional provisions and how they should not be used to prosecute people.
- Engage communities through the platform to ensure that individuals are made conscious of their rights.
For more information on the topic, check out our previous posts on the subject here